श्रीमद्वाल्मीकिरामायणे अयोध्याकाण्डे प्रथमस्सर्गः (२३)
Some more qualities in Srirama which are useful for us to live in this world are as given below:
1. निभृतः — Srirama is a man of unwavering nature. He cannot be compelled by external and unrighteous deeds. According to Sri Sankara Bhagavatpada’s Bhajagovindam: “SatsanMgatve nissaMgtavam, nissaMgatve nirmohatvam, nirmohatve nishchalatatvam, nishchalatatve jeevanmuktiH”. This means, the unwavering nature finally helps us in attaining jeevanmukti.
2. संवृताकारः — Srirama is a man with covered nature. Covered nature means, the nature of not letting the inner thoughts being expressed to the outer world by one’s facial expressions. This is a very essential characteristic for a King that leads to success. However, this does not seem to be BraahmaNa dharma as BrahmaNs are supposed to practice aarjavam (expressing one’s thoughts to the outer world as they are).
3. गुप्तमन्त्रः — Srirama is a man who keeps his critical plans for the country, a secret to himself and/or a trusted few. ChANakya’s arthaShastra is also teaching the same, and is hence an important characteristic of a King.
4. सहायवान् — Srirama helps others those who are in need of it.
5. अमोघक्रोधहर्षश्च — Srirama is a man who’s anger and happiness do not go waste. At other occasions, Vaalmiki maharshi clarifies that Shriraama brings anger क्रोधम् only when he has to punish the punishable and he always shares his happiness हर्षम् with others. Hence “अमोघक्रोधः” and “अमोघहर्षः” here refer to the truthfulness behind ShriRaama’s promises (प्रतिज्ञ) of “दुष्टशिक्षण” and “शिष्टरक्षण” respectively. These are indeed the greatest characteristics of Paramaatma Himself.
6. त्यागसंयमकालवित् — Srirama is a man who knows when to donate and when not to do so. In other words, he knows who is deserved to be bestowed with donation and who is not. In relation to the above, this also means — ShriRaama does not i) save the bad and ii) destroy the good, and hence gives that to who deserves it.
Thus there are several qualities in Srirama which are useful for us.
-Srirama Rama Rama-